Monday, August 15, 2011

Danielle's Headband

Our first challenge was to make a headband - no restrictions on style, colour, or anything else.  Here's my take:

Here it is, in my hair!  It's made from felt and beads and an elastic headband - all supplies available at WalMart.  I searched online and printed out a few sizes of flower shapes, then traced them onto the felt, then cut them out. For this particular one, I cut out two 8-pointed flowers and one five-lobed flower.  I layered them, then stitched through all three layers and added three beads in the center.  I went through the beads a few times, to make sure they were secure.

Here's a close-up of the flower part.  I've also made them in multiple colors, and with contrasting beads instead of coordinating beads.  I used Scuncii brand elastic headbands for this project, because I found them on sale.  This one is a stay-put style, with the sticky stuff on the back.  I think that I'll get the regular ones next time, because they're a bit easier to put on.

This is a close-up of the back.  Once the flower was assembled, I cut a small rectangle of felt from the same colour as the bottom flower.  Then I stitched it along two sides, catching the headband in the middle.  This lets the flower slide along the the headband, so you can reposition it easily.

I hope you enjoyed my headband!  Check back on Friday for Karen's take on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment